Tuesday, October 4, 2016

The Meaning of a Trump Presidency

Civil Rights giant John Lewis was beaten in Selma on the Edmund Pettus Bridge. On another occasion he was left unconscious in a pool of blood after getting off a freedom rider bus. He is the last living speaker from the 1963 March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom, having addressed the crowd and the nation's conscience just before Martin Luther King made his "I Have a Dream" speech. Now a congressman from Georgia, here is what he had to say recently about the prospect of a Donald Trump presidency, as quoted in Esquire Magazine. 

 John Lewis: A True Superhero | Huffington Post

"When I see the people that react to Donald Trump's words at those rallies, I see the same look in their eyes that I saw [in the eyes of Dallas Sheriff Clark and his posse]—a look that says, 'you're not a part of us, you're not a part of the American family, you come from someplace else.' When Trump talks about building a wall, to lock certain individuals out, people rallied. They screamed and yelled. It reminded me of some of the rallies that I saw on television for [infamous racist/segregationist Alabama governor] George Wallace during the '60s. It makes me somewhat sad. I thought for many, many years that our country had become much more hopeful, much more optimistic, and we had come to a place where we saw unbelievable changes. I've said over and over again that we have witnessed what I like to call a nonviolent revolution in America during the last 50 years, a revolution of values, a revolution of ideas. I think the Trump campaign is trying to take us back to another place, another time, and we've come so far, made so much progress, I don't think we can afford to go back. We have to go forwards, and continue to be what Dr. King called 'the beloved community,' where we lay down the burden of division, the burden of hate, and create an American community at peace with itself."

No comments: