Monday, May 2, 2016

Louie Campos for Congress

There is no doubt the people of Tulare and Fresno Counties have been poorly served by their current Representative in Congress. In office for 14 years, Rep. Devin Nunes has failed conspicuously to alleviate the area's water problems, bring jobs to his constituents, or even get the 99 Freeway widened to three lanes. Brave Gnu Whirled sat down with a new and different kind of candidate who is challenging Mr. Nunes by running for the position this year. I sat down with Louie Campos for an interview recently, which is printed below. His insight and vision represent the kind of responsive and proactive leadership the people of Tulare and Fresno Counties have needed for a long time. Louie is running as a Democrat in the 22nd Congressional District of California. I have known Louie for a long time and have seen his energy, commitment and intelligence first hand. He has my full and complete support and endorsement.


Louie Campos

BRAVE GNU WHIRLED: What is your basic philosophy of politics and government?
LOUIE CAMPOS: I'm a liberal. I believe in equality, and it starts with the individual. I believe in empowering people. We are often under the authority of institutions, but people have the power to reverse that relationship and assume the authority themselves. Therefore I believe in the power of democracy.

BGW: What are some of the primary responsibilities you believe a congressional representative should keep in mind?
LOUIE CAMPOS: You have to balance the national interest and your constituents' interests. Primarily you do serve your district, but you have to keep in mind America as a whole.

BGW: What are the major issues you want to address?
LOUIE CAMPOS: The most important thing for our area is jobs. Then come national security and safety. That means an effective policy on the Middle East. Specifically, if we are going to increase our footprint there then congress needs to take a vote. We've seen a lot of congress second-guessing the President but then they won't take a vote. We need to modernize our 1950s infrastructure and update it for the twenty-first century. That would mean a lot of jobs. Water is a critical need here. We can address that and that means jobs too. Climate change needs to be addressed as well. The current drought could be a result of it. We have communities here with bad water or even none. That is not acceptable, and neither is the air quality. I believe in a comprehensive immigration policy with a pathway to citizenship. It is against American values to split up families. It isn't right for people to contribute labor and money to a system that doesn't benefit them.

BGW: Why are you particularly suited to be a good representative?
LOUIE CAMPOS: For the past several years I've spent time on the ground with the people who live here. I've been involved and gone door to door. I've worked in the culinary industry, in the Department of Corrections and am a Board Agua member, a group advocating for water quality. I have a better sense of what the people are going through here. I take a logical, reasoned approach to problem solving. I have no problem challenging my party or anyone for a better way. We need to plant the seed for a new generation to help democracy to succeed.

BGW: What is your critique of the current incumbent in California's 22nd Congressional District, Rep. Devin Nunes (R-CA)?
LOUIE CAMPOS: I've researched his record and can't find anything he's authored. He hasn't really done anything. His constituents can't name a single thing he's done. I think he's been absent, listening to only a limited circle of people, and no one who challenges his view, no one who wants him to do anything. He's like the guy on the couch with a remote in his hand.

BGW: Thank you for the interview. Is there anything you would like to add?
LOUIE CAMPOS: I don't want to understate the value of input. I want to hear what people want and need. I have always been approachable by anybody. If need be I will go to wherever they are. You can't always satisfy everything people want, but I promise to listen and consider any serious need or idea.

No comments: