Thursday, April 14, 2016

Roosevelt Gala

Last Saturday night was a wonderful event for me, the annual Roosevelt Gala. Named for the  groundbreaking liberal Democratic President Franklin Delano Roosevelt, the Gala honors those who have made a positive and progressive difference in the community over the past year. It is also the major annual fundraising event for the grassroots-driven Tulare County Political Action Committee. This year was especially meaningful for me, as I was given the Vanguard Award as someone who is on the leading edge of positive change in the community. I was told by one of the organizers that the award I received was motivated by my mentorship of the College of the Sequoias Young Democrats Club and the publication of my book, Liberally Speaking, which was explicitly written to challenge the conservative-dominated media and power structure.

With Senator De Leon, Organizers and Awardees


It was particularly gratifying to have my lovely wife Joan, our daughter Jeanette, and my dear sister Sue Ruth and her husband Kevin with us. Family, friends, and my wonderful colleagues at work, filled four complete tables of eight in attendance to support me. Thanks to the generosity of Visalia attorney Victor Moheno and 22nd Congressional District Democratic candidate Louie Campos, 16 COS Young Democrats from our club were also able to attend. Special thanks also go to my Young Democrats co-advisor Amy Pritchett. She and her husband Nick also sponsored an entire table.

Hope Patrick-Garcia opened the program with a rendition of the national anthem that may be the finest I have ever heard. President Pro Tem of the California State Senate Kevin De Leon was the keynote speaker, and he delivered a real barn-burner. I couldn't help thinking that this is a man to watch for statewide office or U.S. Senator in the future. Gage Navarro, a young local man who has appeared on the TV program "The Voice" performed marvelously during dinner. In addition to my award, Dr. Robert Aguilar and ACT for Women and Girls received the Activists of the Year Awards, and Victor Moheno received the Lifetime Achievement Award. It was a memorable evening, and a great honor to receive this recognition. My highest praise goes to Abigail Solis, Tom Chamberlin, Louie Campos and Mike Maldonado for organizing this wonderful event.

With COS Young Democrats






No comments: